Designing and Coding a Roblox Obby
1) Draw a map of what you plan to build. The map requires that you create:
- Theme: What kind of place is it? What kind of objects or buildings will you make. It has to be a real environment, it can’t look like the default Roblox obby.
- Plan what kind of obstacles you will place and how the course will be run.
- At least 3 objects in the game need to be something you made. Use parts to create an object.
- You must fix the broken codes in your file and type the codes that are missing. That is 4 total scripts.
- It’s ok to use premade objects from the Toolbox. Don’t use too much or you will make the game slow down.
- The level should generally be big enough to take a few minutes to complete. The general rule is if people finish it their first time in less than 60 seconds, your Obby is too short.
I need help with level ideas!
Here’s a few things to help you think about:
- Is your level based in nature or something man-made or a mixture?
- What biomes are in it? City, Forest, Desert, Mountain, Water, Rock, Ice, Space, Darkness/Fantasy
- How do you connect the map? What ways can you move around?
- What obstacles do you have to overcome? What helps your player? What hurts the player?
2) Open the file
You need to open this file. Download it and open in Roblox.
3) Fix the Scripts
Open the file and fix the broken scripts and rewrite the blank ones. All of the codes are at the bottom of this page.
4) Begin creating in Roblox.
Start building the level. It’s best to start with Terrain or Buildings. Add in the Environment objects. Don’t worry about placing guns until the world is more complete.
5) Playtest! Publish your game to Roblox. During the second hour, we will be testing different levels and giving you feedback.
6) Revise your level. Take what you learned and make the level better. Someone other than you must be able to beat it.
6) Repeat. Have people play it again. You may get more feedback. It’s now up to you when you feel it is complete, as long as it has the requirements in step #1.
You cannot get your badge on your first session. There is so much you can build in this that we will not accept it if you rush through it. Take your time and build carefully.
If you are new to Roblox, these videos will help:
Roblox Code – Fixing or Writing Scripts
These are the correct code. Look at the code in the game and find where the words go inside the code.
Cut and Paste! When you find where the code goes, move it where it needs to go. If you leave the code pieces at the top, it will not work.
Some of the code is completely missing. You need to retype it.
Ask for help with moving the windows around so you can see Roblox and this page.
This code is pretty simple. It defines the opjects. When it tells you touch it, it plays the sound and waits 5 seconds before it plays again.
This is also fairly simple. It sets the block to invisible. If you touch it, it become visible for a little and then disappears again.