Class Rules and Expectations
The enrolling children, sometimes referred to as designers, will be represented by “members” in this agreement. Any adult signing this document makes full and legal agreement to the conditions thereof and this adult is agreeing in behalf of all other legal parents or guardians of the member. I agree and understand to the following conditions of my paid subscription to Video Game Design Club and commit to following the rules as set forth:
- I will be registered to a set level of subscription. The registered member may attend as many as that session package permits and I may upgrade if I want them to attend more.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to provide an adequate computer and that disfunction of that computer is in no way the responsibility of the Club.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to schedule and deliver the member to their sessions and that failure to attend sessions does not entitle me to a refund. I also acknowledge and agree that I cannot receive refunds for previously attended sessions.
- I understand that my child is a member and not a student and VGDC is under no obligation to the formal or recorded education of my child. I recognize that I can’t ask for instructors to give “homework” or “tests.”
- I understand that it is not the fault of Video Game Design Club if the member fails or struggles to grasp game design principles despite the club’s efforts to do so. All materials are made to be understandable to a person of 10 years of age.
- I agree that if I fail to attend sessions, VGDC is under no obligation to give refunds.
- I recognize some regularly scheduled sessions may not occur due to holidays or vacation or if the Club has to close temporarily.
- I cannot require special times or bring my member early or leave them later than within 15 minute windows of the
established block of time without resulting in additional fees for retaining the member longer than expected session periods. Failure to pick up on time for 3 times in a row may result in loss of membership.
- I agree that VGDC is not a child care institution and that I will not expect them to feed, care for, tend to physical ailments, or medicate the member.
- I agree that VGDC cannot be held responsible for epilepsy, heart or lung conditions, asthma, or other conditions of the member. If an emergency occurs, VGDC will do all in its power to call for medical assistance quickly and promptly.
- I agree that I cannot hold VGDC liable for my child getting sick.
- I agree that failure to pay dues will result in refusal of services and that I must pay within 30 days or my student cannot attend sessions.
- I agree that if my member users a computer improperly in class, such as the use of watching or viewing inappropriate material is not the fault of VGDC or its instructors. I also agree that if the member is a repeated offender of such rule that they may be removed from membership. I will agree that VGDC is not held responsible if the Googling of a non-offensive or non-vulgar words still results in inappropriate material, though they will do their best to avoid such situations. Members will not be punished for such accidental occurrences.
- I understand that VGDC will not discipline my member but does retain the right to have them wait in the hall and call for pick up. There is zero tolerance for bad tempers as they will disrupt the learning environment for our other paying students.
- I agree that my student will behave appropriately, refrain utterly from acts of bullying or teasing, and use clean and professional language. I accept that VGDC retains full right to refuse services if my member cannot abide by these rules.
- I understand that if my child intentionally commits actions of griefing, trolling, online bullying, or other toxic behavior, they are given one chance to make amends. If a second action of similar malice is committed, especially within a recent time of the first, the member may be removed from the Club permanently.
- I understand that it is important for me to discuss the mental fortitude or shortcomings of my child. I recognize that VGDC is not an educational institution and is not capable of meeting the demands of all special children. I accept the risk that my child or their actions may or may not be manageable by the instructors.
- I agree that my member may participate in the play of games up to the rating of T for Teen and my express permission will be required to pay anything above that within the walls of the VGDC facility. Exceptions or revisions to this specific rule may be made on a case by case basis.
- I agree that I or anyone else picking up my member must come inside and present a formal ID if asked. For the safety of our club and members, members may not come out to an awaiting car.
- I agree that if I drop off my member without bringing them in directly, Video Game Design Club is not responsible for the member or their well being until they make it across the threshold of the Club room (not the main building from which we rent space).
- I agree that I am willing to accept updates to this waiver after reading them.
I agree to not resell the content given to my member of VGDC. I agree to not compete with VGDC or enter in partnership with any other individuals in the creation of an organization teaching video game design within a 50 mile radius of Huntsville.
Individual Instruction and Protection
I understand that my member may be in a room alone with an adult instructor. VGDC will do to the best of its ability to minimize any behaviors that can be misconstrued or misinterpreted for the physical, mental, and legal safety of both student and company. A student’s physical contact with instructors MUST be limited. Please encourage your student to not show affection such as hugs or verbal expressions of affection to any instructor.
High fives, fist bumps and handshakes are acceptable. Please do not have your member text or call the instructors. Your member may follow us on social media but do not have them send us messages either. The only allowed messaging is Discord. If any of this is violated, you will receive an email encouraging you to inform your member of proper, safe conduct.
VGDC will conduct background checks for all of its instructors and future instructors, and diligently seeks to minimize the instances of unsupervised or unrecorded contact in accordance with its policies. However, the nature of individualized lessons is such that one-to-one sessions may be unavoidable. To the best of our ability, classes will be recorded live via webcam. By initialing below, I hereby acknowledge my awareness and understanding that my member may be alone with an adult instructor, and give my consent.
I hereby acknowledge that I understand the terms of this section. I also hereby agree that I waive my ability to sue Video Game Design Club or an individual instructor only on the grounds of verbal allegations and must present clear and present, recorded proof or a reliable second witness of intentional and inappropriate contact. I also waive my ability to sue Video Game Design Club if this occurs and must take the offending person to court.
Taking Photos or Videos
I grant permission to Video Game Design Club and its agents or employees, to use photographs or videos taken of me or my minor-aged members in classes or events of Video Game Design Club for use in publications such as brochures, newsletters, and magazines, and to use the photographs on display boards, and to use such photographs in electronic versions of the same publications or on Video Game Design Club web sites or other electronic form or media, and to offer them for use or distribution in other non-company publications, electronic or otherwise, without notifying me. No names will be used.
There is no time limit on the validity of this release nor is there any geographic limitation on where these materials may be distributed.
I hereby waive any right to inspect or approve the finished photographs or printed or electronic matter that may be used in conjunction with them now or in the future, whether that use is known to me or unknown, and I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the photograph.
I hereby agree to release, defend, and hold harmless Video Game Design Club and its agents or employees, including any firm publishing and/or distributing the finished product in whole or in part, whether on paper or via electronic media, from and against any claims, damages or liability arising from or related to the use of the photographs and video, including but not limited to any misuse, distortion, blurring, alteration, optical illusion or use in composite form, either intentionally or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in taking, processing, reduction or production of the finished product, its publication or distribution.
I agree to all of these rules and do accept this as a legally binding document.