8- Anatomy and Posing

Activity Progress:

Anatomy and Posing

NOTE: Before you read any more, this is for basic understanding. Do not think you are animating every pose of your character in this activity!  This is about understanding how your character is built and making sure you can animate them in the future.

You can see that I made a skeleton of my character.
Kind of funny, huh? Do you know why that’s helpful? Look at the legs and arms, at the hips and ribs. When you think about what’s inside your character, you are able to better understand how it might move.

I have made two poses: casting a spell and walking. Understanding your character’s body is important in learning how to move it. Casting a spell means holding up the stick, but you may not have noticed that I slightly tilted his head back.

In the walking pose, you can see that I bent the legs where the joints are on the skeleton. He’s also leaned forward to show motion and his tail is straighter because he’s moving.

Learning animation techniques is a lot of work but the most important thing to understand is this: details are important! Take your time and pose your character to get a feeling for it. This is where Grouping the arm and leg pieces comes in handy.

Resources:

Here are some videos examples on Anatomy and Posing to help you learn more:

Older games used very little animation so they emphasized movement by using Key frames. This is a good introduction to that concept, especially in the world of video games.

Your character may not be quite as boxy as mine. Much of posing can be understood in the curving of a line. Check this video out to see how.

In understanding the posing of your character, it might be helpful to go back to paper. Drawing is faster and you can learn a lot more quickly. Once you find a look that you like, less time is wasted on the computer.

In understanding the posing of your character, it might be helpful to go back to paper. Drawing is faster and you can learn a lot more quickly. Once you find a look that you like, less time is wasted on the computer.

Assignment

Either on Vectr or paper, draw the skeleton of your character and at least 3 poses from the following list:

• Attack
  • Duck
  • Jump
  • Run
  • Walk
  • Sneak
  • Shoot

Upload the image into the assignment or get approval from an instructor.